What to Expect
- All Are Welcome Here! We are a Christian institution that strives to demonstrate intentional hospitality to all. We will not tolerate discrimination on our campus against any child of God, including discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, ability, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation.
- Wifi is available in Assembly Inn, the Presbyterian Heritage Center and most conference center meeting rooms. For specifics please visit our meeting space page.
- Cell service is generally accessible throughout the valley but you may experience some outages depending on your location.
- Firearms are prohibited on all conference center properties.
- Tobacco use, including cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, and e-cigarettes, is only permitted out of doors where urns are found.
- While dogs are welcomed in most public spaces, they must be leashed at all times, including on hiking trails, and are not allowed in Robert Lake Park or any of Montreat Conference Center's accommodations. Exceptions are made for service animals.
Our Mountain Home
Montreat is located in a 4,000 acre cove of the Blue Ridge Mountains, with relatively mild, but varying weather. Casual, informal clothing for a range of weather conditions is suggested. Don’t forget an umbrella, sweater, or your comfortable walking shoes!
Since we are in the mountains, our campus is hilly with plenty of stairs. If you have limited mobility be sure to let us know so we can make arrangements to assist you. Contact the front desk of Assembly Inn at 828.419.9844 or your group's event registrar.
We share these mountains with all of God’s creation, from black bears to critters in the creek. In order to be as respectful of our environment as possible we ask visitors to not leave any food, including trash, out to attract bears - please dispose of your trash and recycling in a green bear bin.
A Place Set Apart
Our facilities seek to incorporate the natural, simplistic beauty of Montreat into their experience, and for that reason they are simple with an emphasis on comfort rather than modern amenities. Most guest rooms do not have televisions, mini-fridges, microwaves, coffee makers, shampoo/conditioner, or hair dryers. Most lodges do not have wifi and only some have air conditioning, but they do have updated common areas and kitchens. Not totally lost to the modern world, however, Assembly Inn is equipped with wifi, air conditioning, and a lobby with a TV, couches, chairs, and work spaces.
Montreat offers a number of accommodations, varying in their size, amenities, and accessibility. For specifics on a certain property please visit our accommodations page.
Getting to Montreat
- Be sure to grab a map at the Montreat Store, the Nature Center, or the front desk of Assembly Inn before you go hiking — your phone's GPS is not reliable on our trails
- If there is a lost person or an accident on the trails, please call 911
- There is no back-country camping along the Montreat trails except for at the two shelter sites listed on the map
- There is no biking allowed on Montreat's Trails
- Please keep dogs on a leash while hiking our 40+ miles of trails
- We have black bears in our protected wilderness, be sure to always put your trash in a secure receptacle. If you see a bear that is disrupting the public or in a high-traffic area, please notify the Montreat police at 828.669.8072.
- We have snakes in our protected wilderness — most of our snakes are non-venomous and all species are important to the ecosystem! Our two venomous species are protected by state law, if a venomous snake is in a problem area, please contact the rangers (summer only - 828.669.9540) or the police (828.669.8072)